Simon Wright – Business Profile
For the last 27 years Simon has worked closely with brand-holders, retailers, certifying bodies, NGOs and government. His extensive knowledge of the sustainable food and drink sector, his wide network of contacts and his close relationship with key players adds value to the activities of his clients.
Simon began his career working for major food manufacturers such as United Biscuits, Nestle and Unilever, followed by nine years as Technical Director at Whole Earth Foods where he was responsible for their extensive New Product Development programme. During this time he helped to create the Green & Black’s range of organic and Fairtrade chocolate. Simon left Whole Earth to set up his own business, specialising in the development and marketing of sustainable food and drink. Over the last 18 years Simon has worked successfully as a consultant in the UK, Europe, the USA and Australia.
Notable projects include:
- Brands Helping to develop the Enjoy Organic, Divine and Liberation (Fairtrade) and Free & Easy (free-from) product ranges
- Retail Running The Organic Partnership, a best-practice group of 25 organic suppliers to Sainsbury’s, and helping to develop the Sainsbury’s SO organic own-label range
- Communications Editing three books on organic and Fairtrade processing and marketing, writing for trade and consumer magazines, appearing on TV and radio and organising and chairing conferences for the FDIN (Food and Drink Innovation Network), Natural Products Europe and Food Ingredients Europe
- Training Writing and delivering training programmes to colleagues at Sainsbury’s, Planet Organic, As Nature Intended and Greater London Enterprise on sustainable food
- Government Drafting the first UK Compendium of Organic Standards, producing the first version of the Defra organic website and serving as a full member of UKROFS (United Kingdom Register of Organic Food Standards)
- NGO’s Working for the Soil Association as a consultant, chair of the Ethical Trade Standards Action Group, member of the Management Committee and Council, and member of the Standards Board. Working with FLO (Fairtrade Labelling Organisation) to draft standards for processed foods, member of the Certification Committee of the Fairtrade Foundation.
Simon’s wide range of client experience means he is equally at home working with small start-up operations or large organisations: he is able to manage diagonally and influence upwards. Simon’s collaborative style enables him to form effective working relationships easily and quickly. His media experience means he can identify appropriate messages and ensure they are clearly communicated.
- Bsc (Hons) Food Science & Nutrition, Oxford Brookes University (1986)
- Food Technology HND, Manchester Polytechnic (1980)
- Member of the Guild Of Food Writers
- Member of the Institute of Food Science and Technology
- Member of Slow Food UK
- Chair of Judging Panel, The Quality Food Awards
- Judge, Food Matters Free-From Awards
- Member of The Academy of Chocolate
- Member of the Pool of Expert Advisers to the European Commission on organic production